In Reading, pre-k students listened to several thematic read-alouds last week consistent with our “Animal Habitats” theme:
• “The Animals of Alaska” by John Rickus
• “The Little Polar Bear” by Hans de Beer
• “Dear Zoo” by Rod Campbell
• “Aren’t You Coming Too?” by Eve Rice
• “Dear Polar Bear” by Barry Ablett
• “Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated the World” by Juliana, Isabella, and Craigh Hatkoff and Dr. Gerald R. Uhlich
• “Hey, Al” by Arthur Yorinks
• “Goodnight, Gorilla” by Peggy Rathman
In Writing, they made cards for their classmate Mananjan who was celebrating her birthday.
In Math, students learned about money in Saxon Math and did a Writing Numerals activity. Each student was given a “one card” from a deck of cards and had to write the number on the card and draw the same number of objects that was on their card on their paper. They also worked on Animal Patterns using link cubes for patterning.
In Science Discovery, each student wrote a meaningful sentence about their experience seeing the polar bear. Each child was given a picture of the polar bear they saw and they pasted it on their paper to inspire them to write anything they learned about the animal while at the zoo.